Finding a good hair care routine is tough – especially if your scalp is sensitive. If we over-wash our hair, our scalp becomes extremely dry, red, or irritated. If we under-wash our hair, we have to deal with super oily hair! Not to mention, many dry shampoos on the market use ingredients that can be irritating. Plus, the feeling of “clean hair” disappears 20 minutes after using most dry shampoos.
Not to worry! Over the years, we’ve found so many ways to use cocokind products in our hair. We care about finding a balance between managing hair (that still looks good) and caring for skin (aka your scalp).
Keep reading to find out how and why you should use cocokind in your hair routine!
1. Our Cleansing Oil makes a great scalp mask or dandruff treatment
Our Organic Cleansing Oil contains antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties that can help fight against dandruff and general dry skin. The oil works to deeply moisturize the skin, and its anti-inflammatory properties help soothe irritation. Tea tree oil and lavender oil are antiseptic and work to disinfect and cleanse the pores, while the lavender oil is naturally stress-relieving.
How to use our Cleansing Oil on your scalp:
- Divide your hair into sections to expose your scalp
- Use your fingertips to gently massage a few pumps of the Cleansing Oil into your scalp
- Work gently and in circular motions, making sure to cover as much of the scalp as possible
- Leave this on for at least 30 minutes, or leave it on overnight for ultimate hydration purposes!*
- Rinse with natural shampoo and conditioner
- Repeat 1-2x per week
*If leaving on overnight, make sure to sleep with your hair in a bun, or with a towel covering your pillowcase, to avoid any staining from the oil!
2. Instead of shampoo, try a Raspberry Vinegar Rinse 1-2x a week
Our Raspberry Vinegar Toner is full of antioxidants, which can help fight off free radicals to keep your hair healthy and strong! The pH level (about 3.5) of the toner cleanses and purifies the pores of your scalp, and picks up excess oil that can be causing irritation or breakouts. Regular, cream-based shampoos and moisturizers strip your hair of its natural oils, causing your scalp to be dry, irritated, and/or go into oil production overdrive!
Switching out your regular shampoo or conditioner 1-2 times a week with our Raspberry Vinegar Toner will help to strengthen your hair and preserve its natural, healthy oils. Plus, unlike dry shampoo, you’ll still get the sensation of being able to wash your hair!
How to do a Raspberry Vinegar rinse:
- With dry hair, spray the toner liberally onto your scalp, focusing on areas that are dry or irritated
- Massage toner onto your scalp and run through the rest of your hair
- Rinse with warm water! (No need to use shampoo or conditioner!)
3. Use our Calming Powder as a dry shampoo!
So what if it’s technically a baby product? Our Organic Baby Calming Powder is our favorite dry shampoo! Organic arrowroot, chamomile, calendula, and aloe powder work to absorb oiliness and relax your scalp. This lightweight, effective powder won’t clog your pores or irritate your scalp like many other hair products, but instead will calm the skin and allow you to prevent over-shampooing your hair.
For a quick refresh (sans shampoo):
- Flip hair to one side to reveal scalp
- Shake powder onto scalp, focusing on extra oily or irritated areas
- Repeat to cover all oily areas
- Work through hair with fingertips or a brush
4. Use our Golden Elixir as a heat protectant or for extra shine
Sacha Inchi oil – the main ingredient in our Golden Elixir – has a superiorly unique omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acid composition. The body does not produce either of these essential fatty acids, yet they are necessary for upholding hair health and strength. Furthermore, the elixir contains powerful antioxidants and vitamins A and E, which can help repair damage to hair follicles, reduce inflammation of the scalp, and encourage strong hair… plus, the oil will help keep flyaways at bay while giving you some extra shine!
It’s always a good idea to use a bit of oil in your hair post showering and pre-blow drying. The heat from the blow dryer can be extremely drying and damaging without a light yet protecting hair oil!
How to use this oil in your hair:
- Pump once and rub between hands
- Evenly run fingers through wet, clean hair. ***If you tend to have very oily hair, massage the majority of the oil onto the middle and ends of your hair, and then use the remainder to pat the roots of your hair gently
- Brush through to make sure that the oil is evenly distributed
- Let air dry or blow dry